Horse racing is a thrilling and fast paced world. If you have tried betting on such races before, then you know how exciting this game is. On the other hand, if you are new and want to try betting on horse racing, then being familiar with some of the different kinds of bets is very important.
- Win – obviously, every bettor’s aim is to win. This type of bet is very simple. Just pick the horse you think can win the race. Of course, if your pick wins, then you win too!
- Place – this is a type of bet where you are going to pick the horse that will be 2nd in the race. If your pick wins either 1st or 2nd in the race, then you will win.
- Show – if “Place” is choosing which horse will fall into 2nd, “Show” is which horse would be 3rd. If the horse wins 1st, 2nd or 3rd, then you also win!
- Across The Board (Win, Place or Show) – this is a very popular bet. This enables the bettor to place a bet either in 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the race. In essence, it is 3 bets in one. To give you a better example, if you bet $5 across the board, then you are betting $5 for each place. Therefore, if your horse is on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd you will win either way.
- Exacta – this is betting on a specific horse whether to come in 1st, 2nd etc. For instance, if you bet on horse number 5 or 8 to come in 1st or 2nd in that particular order, horse number 5 should win 1st and horse number 8 should win 2nd for you to win.
- Exacta Box – also has the same principle as “Exacta”. However, in this type of betting system, it doesn’t matter the order which place the horses will fall into. As long as the 2 picks win, then you win too!
- Quinella – if you bet on 2 horses coming 1st and 2nd in the race, it doesn’t really matter which so long as the 2 horses you pick come 1st and 2nd.
- Trifecta – this is winning your bet by choosing 3 horses and the order in which they will win, be it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place. They have to win in the order you picked. For example, horse #3 in 1st, #5 in 2nd and #4 in 3rd.
Categories: Racing Basics